Big Data Research

Tuesday, August 2, 2016

When I start off with a new topic in class I like to gather as much information as possible. Most of it will never make it to the notes of activities the kids see, but I find the more stuff floating around the ol noggin the better I do with teaching the topic.

Data in particular is difficult. I majored in math - which was great for the theoretical underpinnings of mathematics (totally practical on a daily basis). The field of Operational Research was brand new when I was going through college, so again, not a huge foundation for this whole data thing.

Some of the resources I have been using, in no particular order:

  • Computer Science Illuminated - this is my go to book for the CS Principles course. Great place to start.
  • Code - great book
  • List of Publicly available Data Sets
  • Big Data at CSAIL - MIT 
  • Ted Talk - Human Face on Big Data
    • http://humanfaceofbigdata.com/
  • Census Bureau API
  • CEISE- live data sets
  • Exploring Data

Related Posts by Categories

0 comments:

Post a Comment